25 January 2012

Lemonade

You know those moments where you can either be mad or unaffected?  
It seemed like the typical Friday; I slept in, went to the gym, took my time getting ready, worked on homework, went to the library, etc.  I returned home from the library around 5 when I decided to make some dinner.  With Pandora streaming and pasta cooking, I thought "Life can't get better than this".  I planned on meeting with some friends to go to the SUU/BYU gymnastics meet and a "Blackout Dance" after.  What a life, right?  
Oh, no...  I started my car and glanced in the rear view mirror and saw that my back window was already frosted.  Wait a minute, rewind.   I was wearing a jacket, and it felt perfectly fine outside.  It was NOT cold enough to frost my window.  I looked back and my jaw dropped.  Shattered.   Completely shattered.  We got out of the car and started to examine.  There was a tiny hole in the top left corner that looked like it could be from a BB, but there was no evidence anywhere.  

"Dad, I have a problem."  -Me
"...Yeah??... What is it?" -Dad 
"My whole back windshield is shattered" -Me
"What happened? What do you mean, shattered?" -Dad

After recounting what just took place, he told me to call the police and file a report for insurance purposes.  A policeman came, filled out the report, took pictures and went on his way.  Meanwhile, my roommates came home and heard the whole story. 

"And you still have a smile on your face!  How are you laughing about this and not completely pissed?" -Roommates, neighbor, and roommate's sister

This really got me thinking.  Was I mad?  No.  Should I be mad?  Probably.  So why wasn't I mad?  Well, it doesn't matter.  Stuff like this happens and is unavoidable.  When life hands you lemons, you've gotta just make lemonade.  We figured some 10-12 year old boys broke it while playing with their slingshot across the parking lot.  Those little boys didn't do it on purpose.  It's not like I have an arch nemesis who would purposely do something like that to hurt me.  And at least it happened over the weekend rather than in the middle of the week when I might not have time to deal with it.  
Life was still good.  
In situations like this, are you mad or do you make lemonade?
My Friday night finished just as I expected it to pre-windshield.  We went to the meet -late, of course -and we were featured on the JumboTron!  I've never had that happen before!  If you haven't either, it can be super awkward.  How do you act?  If you turn to your neighbor and start talking then it's like you're just wishing it would go away.  You don't want to make a complete fool of yourself by dancing to some sort of undanceable music that happens to be playing at the same time.  Sitting there awkwardly just watching the screen and waiting for it to leave was what we did.  Of course we couldn't help but laugh that we were on the big screen and that we were still on the screen.   
Be on a Jumbo Tron: CHECK 
It is now checked off of my list :)
The rest of the weekend was spent in utter relaxation.  
I consider myself lucky because the cop said it would fall in within the night, but it didn't.  I drove to work on Monday and it still didn't break on me!  (That was a slow drive trying to avoid bumps but was nerve wracking because I expected it to just come crashing in.)
This is the bulging crack after sitting a day in the snow.  It really was pretty cool looking!


Garbage bags taped on the inside to catch the glass
Duct tape to hold all the little pieces together

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Playlist


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com